Here’s a finished model of a Gundam RX78 helmet I did for my Ani 51a class here at SJSU. It has 2700 tris and uses 4k texture maps, which I guess don’t necessarily make sense together but our professor wanted us to get experience making higher resolution maps. I learned a lot from this, especially:
- Kiting geometry/ avoiding unnecessary geometry.
- The importance of having clean geometry for texturing
- Getting the material to look right is sometimes more important than texture work.
- Don’t let the texture detract from the overall material.
- Don’t let texture details affect the scale of the model. Large surface details make objects look smaller.